Sunday, October 28, 2012

coach outlet online Turning

Turning, he was about to step back when the earth, where he was standing, gave way, sliding down to the ledge below and carrying him with it.
"Goodness!" he cried, picking himself up and shaking off the dirt with which he was covered. "I wonder what next? Now, how am I going to get out of this? I doubt if I can get back up there, and it don't look inviting below."
It was impossible to climb up the side of the cliff, as it was almost perpendicular, but upon the small ledge below he noticed that a stunted tree was growing from the rocks.
"I wonder if I can catch that tree," considered Pepper, preparing to slide down to the ledge. "I guess it ain't a question of can, I've just got to do it, and I won't be any worse off there than I am here, and I may be a good deal better."
Carefully calculating his distance he let go, sliding down until he reached the ledge where he clutched a tree and held on until he could gain a footing. The ledge, which was about a foot in width, ran but a short distance in either direction, but to the right, a few feet below, was another level space, which Pepper judged he might gain. Moving cautiously along until he was over the point he let himself down to the lower ledge. Following this along he was able to gain another, and so on, slipping at times and tumbling, until he finally came out upon a small plateau at the foot of the hill.
"Thank goodness!" he cried as he got up and shook himself. "I've got to the bottom, anyhow. I hope there isn't anything more coming my way or I won't get that message there to-day, and I've got to move pretty quick, as it is."
He had gone but a short distance when he heard a loud "hello," and looked up to see a strange boy in the Scout uniform standing on the rocks not far above him.
"Hello!" called the boy again; "who are you?"
"Hello!" he replied. "Pepper Blake. Who are you?"
"Tom Brown," replied the other, then, with his trumpet, sending out a call that went echoing among the rocks until it brought back an answering call. "Say, hold on until I get down there," he said, addressing Pepper, then clambering down until he stood beside the lost boy. "Do you know we have been hunting all over for you?"
"No," replied Pepper; "but I am mighty glad to see you just the same."
"How did you get down here?" went on Tom.
"Tumbled down, mainly," was the reply. "I took a drop from the top of the hill yonder."
By this time several more of the boys, who were members of the Highpoint Patrol, had joined them and began to ply the object of their search with questions.
"Hold on a minute," said one of them. "Say, Pepper, ain't you hungry?"
"Well, I had a bite," he confessed; "but that was a good while ago, and I want to get on with this message."
"I guess you have got there," said the boy, with a laugh. "I am Jack Dudley, the Leader; you can give it to me."
"All right," replied Pepper, with a sigh of relief; "I got it to you, anyhow."
"You certainly did," said Jack. "Lucky we brought along a day's rations. We didn't know how long we might be out. Now," as the boys got out their supplies from their knapsacks and spread them out on the rocks, "tell us how you got here." Whereupon Pepper related the story of his adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment